Sunday, October 4, 2009

What I'm Turning: J.Cole playcount @ 800




On the real, I think I'm pretty behind on this shit. I've been riding the Cash Money/Young Money wave for what feels like over year-- even riding with them during the Lil Wayne backlash. Then Drake popped in, and it felt like the rest of the music world just died for me --it was all about Drake. Granted, I'm still a big Drake fan, and don't get it twisted, I still bump So Far Gone (even if I do turn down the volume when Best I Ever Had comes on), and I'm in love with everything off Comeback Season, but for the past week or so, I've been living in a J. Cole world.

After his appearance on Jay's "A Star is Born," I've gotten into a habit of downloading anything with his name attached, without taking an actual listen to the songs. But when it was announced he'd be showing up on the tour, I figured I'd take a listen. This was a week ago.

Since then I've been on a J. Cole fucking frenzy. From The Warm Up (amazing), The Come Up (classssssic), freestyles (I forgot how sexy boys just goin' in on a beat can be [shoutout to Eminem lol]) to adorable interviews where he talks about his 3.82 GPA and basketball (*swoon*), I can't get enough J. Cole.

Perhaps the attraction comes from no one really knowing him or his music, or maybe his music is really just that good (it is). But for a second, he totally made me forget the sad things in life: T.I. is in jail; Drake looks a paste-eater.

Make sure to download the new RocNation endorsed The Warm Up and the classic, and totally slept on, The Come Up. If nothing else, watch him go hard on this beat:




To be clear, that on the real, this is not hipster approved shit. This is real shit (for once). And I love.

I know. Weird, right?

No comments: