Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Not Gonna Teach Him How To Dance With You



Mates of State w/ Black Kids
April 18, 2009
Commodore Ballroom

A little late with this post, but school has been kicking my ass, so I apologize to all of the people who don’t read our blog who I’m sure have been anxiously anticipating a new post.

I should mention the opening act Judgement Day. They weren’t exactly my thing, but they deserve an A+ for effort and ingenuity. They’re basically a metal band but they’ve replaced bass and guitar with cello and violin. Seriously, check it out.



It seems that a few more months of touring did Black Kids some good because they were better than I remembered. Though, it may have had something to do with the energy of the crowd because they sure knew how to party. They played basically the same set as back in October and it definitely went by too fast. I can’t wait until these guys put out another record so they can stay on stage for more than 45 minutes. Also, I’d like to mention that after attending what feels like a million shows, I finally caught a damn guitar pick. It was a serious personal achievement.

Between sets we actually got to say hello to Reggie at the merch table where he was taking some pictures with fans. Then we just hung out at the back of the dance floor where with the help of some Dre, Weezy, and Michael Jackson a little retro dance party broke out. People were pop n’ lockin’ and everything See:


[Apologies to the random strangers in this photo.]

Even though I was pretty excited to see them, by the time Mates of State took the stage I, as well everyone else there it seemed, was pretty burned out. It might have been a result of where I was standing, but the mix didn’t sound too great either. They still played a solid set though, but the highlight was definitely when they invited couples to slow dance on stage and one girl decided to strut her stuff to completely steal the show.

[And thanks to my previously mentioned poseur friend and her facebook for the pictures]

No comments: