Tuesday, November 10, 2009

What We're Turning



Wale - "Attention Deficit"

I’ve been following Wale’s career for a while, ever since the now defunct Good Weather For Airstrike’s posted Nike Boots and I couldn’t get it out of my head. So to say I’ve been looking forward to this album might be a bit of an understatement. I had pretty high expectations too since Wale’s put out some seriously good tracks over the past four years that have all been leading up to this major label debut. I’m glad to say that when I listened to this record last mont… I mean today (because I would never ever download a leak because that’s obviously very very wrong) I was not disappointed.

It might be because I’m so sick of listening to hip-hop that’s been auto-tuned to death that Wale’s record feels so fresh, but either way I do think he’s brining something new to the table. He also touches on some serious issues on this record reminding all those fools out there that sometimes it’s okay to get emotional on a record. “Shades” and “Contemplate” stand out, and so does the laid back Hollywood story “90210” (Which he claimed was about Paris Hilton on his Twitter, but which we think might as well be about Lindsay Lohan. I mean, it wouldn’t be the first time he rapped about her). Now don’t get it twisted, he still brings the party on this record. If “Pretty Girls” or “World Tour” don't get you up out of your seat then I don’t know what the hell is wrong with you.

[She is 90210]


Including the iTunes only “My Sweetie” (which I think should have been an album cut) for your listening pleasure, but you really should get out there to support good music and pick this one up. If your store isn’t stocking it, demand that they do because this album deserves a chance to be heard.

DL: Wale - My Sweetie

No comments: