Wednesday, April 29, 2009

'Cause we're so handsome, and we're so bored.


Bloc Party w/ Hot Hot Heat
April 26, 2009
Commodore Ballroom

I felt liked I’ve been waiting for this concert all my life. Well, okay, maybe just for the better part of five years, but close enough. Whether it was because I was underage, or just couldn’t get my shit together, every other time Bloc Party came though town I missed out so I was pretty pumped for this one.

I was extremely disappointed to find out Hot Hot Heat was opening. I was a little late (but not late enough) so I missed most of their set, but from what I did see not much has changed. This was my fourth (I think) time seeing them and they still didn’t impress me. I just wanted to hear Bandages, and they at least gave me that.

Bloc Party on the other hand lived up to my expectations. Even though it was a Sunday night the crowd was hyped and they absolutely killed it. They played a good mix of old stuff and new stuff and I got to hear all my favourites so I was satisfied. Not too much banter, but they did take a minute to call out Dave, a.k.a. “the guy in the bright yellow shirt“, and to ask what made the people on the balcony think they were so important.



I’m glad I got to see them in a smaller venue for my first time. It just wouldn’t have been the same at a place like the Orpheum. Also, I just want to say it was nice to be part of a crowd where singing (read: screaming, extremely loud and out of key) along was encouraged (unlike some shows that may or may not have been previously mentioned on this blog).

[Pictures again courtesy of my not-so-poseur friend]

No comments: